Monday, August 18, 2008

The Ultimate Mango Salsa


Mango Morning II by Sandra Blazel*

I've made & we've thoroughly enjoyed several salsa recipes that involve a mango! Earlier in the summer when my son Peter & his lovely bride Gloria were giving a bridal shower for his sister, (my daughter) Sara & (now son-in-law) Casey, I needed to make a double batch of to take to the party. So, the birth of this recipe, the combination of two great recipes that I've found on Food Network plus another recipe in a magazine...alas...


The Ultimate Mango Salsa

2 ripe mangoes, peeled and diced
1 cup watermelon, diced small
1 small red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1/2 cup peeled, diced European or English cucumber
1 finely chopped jalapeno
1 inch fresh ginger root, grated or minced
1/3 cup diced red onion
20 blades fresh chives, finely chopped
lime juice
1/3 cup roughly chopped cilantro leaves

Salt and pepper

Combine the mango, watermelon, cucumber, jalapeno, ginger root, red onion, chives, lime juice and cilantro leaves and mix well. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.

Use as a condiment to chips, the Rice & Black Bean Salad recipe, also on this blog, along side your favorite grilled chicken, shrimp or fish! ....which brings me back to Tortilla Soup! I now have a new addition to this recipe; adding a can of black beans & the kernals from 2 ears of corn gave this already great recipe an added bit of color, texture, flavor and took it to the next level....making a note to self AND in my recipe...

*Sandra suggests pouring the salsa over a block of cream cheese and spread that on crackers as is sometimes done with chutney. Great idea from this etsyian in beautiful Hawaii.

Aloha and Mahalo, I hope you all enjoy!


No comments: